Bold New Voices
Original Plays and Plays with Music written by Women & Women-Identifying Composers & Writers
Through “Bold New Voices,” we support the development of new plays or musicals written by women, especially women of color who are underrepresented in our industry. The goal of "Bold New Voices" is aimed at supporting musical theater works and plays that utilize music as part of the storytelling written by women and women-identifying writers and composers. We are interested in producing premieres or previously produced work that could benefit from further development. The cast and creative teams for this production will be comprised of at least 50% women or women identifying creative artists
Queer women and women of color are openly welcome and encouraged to submit.
A “Bold New Voices” Artistic Development Committee comprised of women playwrights, directors, actors and patrons is being formed to review submissions and choose new works for our 2024-25 season and beyond. To further of our "Artes Para Todos" initiative, we are specifcally looking for work written by Latiné playwrights for the 2024-25 season. Submissions will be accepted through April 15th.
Before submitting your application, please review our eligibility requirements listed below
- If the work is written by a team (ie. Book Writer/Composer) the team should be 50% women or women-identifying creative artists.
- We seek work that has a total of no more than six - eight actors (doubling okay)
- Works should be easy to produce in a intimate black box theater with seating of 100.
- Scripts may have bi-lingual elements, but should be suitable for all audiences.
- All submission material must be emailed as one PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you include the following information with your submission:
1. Contact Information
- Please give us your contact information (Name, Address, Phone, email, website, etc), and, if applicable, your agent or representation’s contact information as well. If you are submitting a play with another writer, you will be asked to list your collaborator’s information here. If you are adapting a work that is not in the public domain, please email proof of your permission to adapt the work with your submission.
- Be sure that your script includes page numbers.
- Include a character breakdown inclusive of age and gender. Limit the number of actors to six to eight (doubling is okay).
- Upload your script as a single PDF file. Please name this PDF file after the title of your play.
4. Biographical statement/including synopsis
- One-page synopsis including history of production
- Describe any previous productions of your play. Previously produced means:
- Staged reading
- School/university production
- Fringe Festival or other.
- This should detail your goals for the future development of the piece, and, specifically, what you hope to accomplish.
Questions: Feel free to contact us with any questions that arise as you prepare your application. We will not respond to inquiries regarding the status of your submission.